The freeing of Orca’s made front page news in the UK today.
This time focusing on Morgan at Lpro Parque seapark in Tenerife!
These guys were featured heavily in Balckfish, and these fuckers need shutting down!
Signal boost, and see if we can make a change!
I really want a copy of this newspaper! Any UK followers who can help me out? Apparently you can only get it if you have a subscription on it?
Any mainlanders able to help? We don’t have that paper here :\
My Dad came down first thing this morning and said they were talking about an Orca named Morgan in Tenerife, and I must have got that know-it-all glint in my eye because he spent the next half hour (or so) going through the morning tasks while being subjected to an info dump about Morgan, Tekoa, Keto, inbred and abandoned calfs, and how SeaWorld relates to all of this and count Morgan amongst their number.
He doesn’t think he can watch Blackfish because he may find it too upsetting. =( I might show him my notes from Dr. Visser’s lecture at WhaleFest later though.
An unusual pet
I LOVE BOAR
What a friendly chap!
Several months ago I was invited to make some artwork for my friend’s Creatures of the Deep zine! You can view the rest of the work here:
(these are like, giant isopods btw)
Life After The Feeder Tank
This is Shokin, and he is a fairly typically hibuna (common) goldfish. His name comes from the Japanse word 賞金 meaning prize; because that’s exactly what he was. A petstore in my area has a gumball machine, you put a quarter in and if a yellow gumball comes rolling down you get a fish out of the feeder tank. I just so happened to get a yellow gumball and out of the tank of overcrowded feeders I took home a skinny, pale, and underfed common. Shokin is my prize, but not because I won him, but rather because he has grown into such a beautiful fish. A bright and active fish many guests mistake him for a small koi when they visit the pond. Last June he weighed a petite 6g, and even through the harshest winter on record he’s managed to increase his weight sixfold.
Contrary to popular belief feeder fish are not inherently more sickly or less hardy, in fact it is quite the opposite. The fish that do survive being shipped in a bag with hundreds of other fish and then often kept in less than ideal water conditions are the strongest of the strong. Shokin arrived most likely on a tuesday in that store, packed in less than a gallon of water with 150 other feeders. I won him on a friday, so that means not only did he survive nearly a week in a feeder system but he managed to avoid being netted and sold as food. In may of last year he spawned with my calico ryukin Kai and his son Izoku (who you can see below) is not even a year old and already weighs as much as his father:
So this is a friendly reminder that while my main focus is fancy goldfish every goldfish keeper should be able to appreciate a common goldfish, and what many feeders go through only to end up as a meal. Just because a fish is free or bred to be food for another fish does not render it’s life worthless. Any fish when well cared for can turn into a lovely adult and goldfish have an amazing biological capacity to rebound from periods of severe neglect. On behalf of Shokin and all his feeder brethren that do not get a happy ending in a big pond, consider taking a feeder home with you if you have the space and resources.
What a wonderful story and GORGEOUS fish! I just wouldn’t take a feeder home, though, because that way you’re just sustaining the market. This “feeder” thing needs to end altogether, goldfish aren’t even suitable for feeding to bigger fish/turtles so what they go through is more or less useless!
His son is beautiful! And so is he. =)
Ink and graphite
18 x 40 inches
All but one of these whales is now dead.
Representing the 45 individuals of the southern resident killer whale population that were captured and placed into aquarium facilies around the world. Each is represented as accurately as possible to their true markings.
Moby Doll, the first orca ever captured and put on display 50 years ago, is at the top. Tokitae/Lolita, the only survivor, is at the bottom.
idiacanthidae asked: 22, 119, and 149? :D
22. Where would you like to travel?
Um, to see fytte in Minnesota and my dear friend in Canada. And then toooo… New Zealand, Iceland, Slovenia, Singapore, Japan, Norway, Finland, New Zealand New Zealand New Zealand New Zealand yougetthepictureIleftmyheartthere.
(I’d also love to visit you, Kite.)
119. Favourite book?
There are too many. A Boy Wants a Dinosaur (Satoshi Kitamura), Tales From Outer Suburbia (Shaun Tan), Beloved (Tony Morrison) A Penguin Natural History of New Zealand, to name but a few… : D
149. Do you believe in ghosts?
Ahaha… ha… ha… The rational part of me wants to say I don’t, but ghost movies scare me a lot more than alien/monster movies. (Or rather, the theatre version of The Woman in Black scares me to pieces. The film was too try-hard and over-the-top and that’s not how you make a proper ghost story.)
So… I don’t believe anything happens to our “soul” after we die, but the idea of ghosts scares me a lot.
"Wait, these are actually hella cute questions."
1. Who was the last person you held hands with?
2. Are you outgoing or shy?
3. Who are you looking forward to seeing?
4. Are you easy to get along with?
5. If you were drunk would the person you like take care of you?
6. What kind of people are you attracted to?
7. Do you think you’ll be in a relationship two months from now?
8. Who from the opposite gender is on your mind?
9. Does talking about sex make you uncomfortable?
10. Who was the last person you had a deep conversation with?
11. What does the most recent text that you sent say?
12. What are your 5 favorite songs right now?
13. Do you like it when people play with your hair?
14. Do you believe in luck and miracles?
15. What good thing happened this summer?
16. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
17. Do you think there is life on other planets?
18. Do you still talk to your first crush?
19. Do you like bubble baths?
20. Do you like your neighbors?
21. What are you bad habits?
22. Where would you like to travel?
23. Do you have trust issues?
24. Favorite part of your daily routine?
25. What part of your body are you most uncomfortable with?
26. What do you do when you wake up?
27. Do you wish your skin was lighter or darker?
28. Who are you most comfortable around?
29. Have any of your ex’s told you they regret breaking up?
30. Do you ever want to get married?
31. Is your hair long enough for a pony tail?
32. Which celebrities would you have a threesome with?
33. Spell your name with your chin.
34. Do you play sports? What sports?
35. Would you rather live without TV or music?
36. Have you ever liked someone and never told them?
37. What do you say during awkward silences?
38. Describe your dream girl/guy?
39. What are your favorite stores to shop in?
40. What do you want to do after high school?
41. Do you believe everyone deserves a second chance?
42. If your being extremely quiet what does it mean?
43. Do you smile at strangers?
44. Trip to outer space or bottom of the ocean?
45. What makes you get out of bed in the morning?
46. What are you paranoid about?
47. Have you ever been high?
48. Have you ever been drunk?
49. Have you done anything recently that you hope nobody finds out about?
50. What was the colour of the last hoodie you wore?
51. Ever wished you were someone else?
52. One thing you wish you could change about yourself?
53. Favourite makeup brand?
54. Favourite store?
55. Favourite blog?
56. Favourite colour?
57. Favourite food?
58. Last thing you ate?
59. First thing you ate this morning?
60. Ever won a competition? For what?
61. Been suspended/expelled? For what?
62. Been arrested? For what?
63. Ever been in love?
64. Tell us the story of your first kiss?
65. Are you hungry right now?
66. Do you like your tumblr friends more than your real friends?
67. Facebook or Twitter?
68. Twitter or Tumblr?
69. Are you watching tv right now?
70. Names of your bestfriends?
71. Craving something? What?
72. What colour are your towels?
72. How many pillows do you sleep with?
73. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
74. How many stuffed animals do you think you have?
75. Favourite animal?
76. What colour is your underwear?
77. Chocolate or Vanilla?
78. Favourite ice cream flavour?
79. What colour shirt are you wearing?
80. What colour pants?
81. Favourite tv show?
82. Favourite movie?
83. Mean Girls or Mean Girls 2?
84. Mean Girls or 21 Jump Street?
85. Favourite character from Mean Girls?
86. Favourite character from Finding Nemo?
87. First person you talked to today?
88. Last person you talked to today?
89. Name a person you hate?
90. Name a person you love?
91. Is there anyone you want to punch in the face right now?
92. In a fight with someone?
93. How many sweatpants do you have?
94. How many sweaters/hoodies do you have?
95. Last movie you watched?
96. Favourite actress?
97. Favourite actor?
98. Do you tan a lot?
99. Have any pets?
100. How are you feeling?
101. Do you type fast?
102. Do you regret anything from your past?
103. Can you spell well?
104. Do you miss anyone from your past?
105. Ever been to a bonfire party?
106. Ever broken someone’s heart?
107. Have you ever been on a horse?
108. What should you be doing?
109. Is something irritating you right now?
110. Have you ever liked someone so much it hurt?
111. Do you have trust issues?
112. Who was the last person you cried in front of?
113. What was your childhood nickname?
114. Have you ever been out of your province/state?
115. Do you play the Wii?
116. Are you listening to music right now?
117. Do you like chicken noodle soup?
118. Do you like Chinese food?
119. Favourite book?
120. Are you afraid of the dark?
121. Are you mean?
122. Is cheating ever okay?
123. Can you keep white shoes clean?
124. Do you believe in love at first sight?
125. Do you believe in true love?
126. Are you currently bored?
127. What makes you happy?
128. Would you change your name?
129. What your zodiac sign?
130. Do you like subway?
131. Your bestfriend of the opposite sex likes you, what do you do?
132. Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with?
133. Favourite lyrics right now?
134. Can you count to one million?
135. Dumbest lie you ever told?
136. Do you sleep with your doors open or closed?
137. How tall are you?
138. Curly or Straight hair?
139. Brunette or Blonde?
140. Summer or Winter?
141. Night or Day?
142. Favourite month?
143. Are you a vegetarian?
144. Dark, milk or white chocolate?
145. Tea or Coffee?
146. Was today a good day?
147. Mars or Snickers?
148. What’s your favourite quote?
149. Do you believe in ghosts?
150. Get the closest book next to you, open it to page 42, what’s the first line on that page? (via tchitsnathan)
Please ask me some? I need it to take my mind off of shit
Aww, why not? =)
just some practice and possibly a preliminary speed painting for a bigger piece. ref was used for bg.
yes i want at least one orcas in space picture in my portfolio. but i want to do it really well ffff
Is that the Orion Nebula I see there?
Because if it is, that’s my favourite stellar nursery and one of my favourite animals and this couldn’t get any better.
pondweed asked: Umhi. =) I just wanted to double check that we have to draw orca for your contest~ (I was thinking of doing Maui's dolphins, but was double checking through the rules. It says Cetaceans at the beginning, but later specifies orca, so I thought I'd just ask. Even though I might look silly doing so!)
I’m sorry I meant to change it!! Cetaceans you can def draw dolphins if you want :) posting so others can see this ! :)))
( Reblogging to my personal! )
=D Thank you. That’s great! I have a few ideas.